Contact us for all your questions
Tarzan the virtual guarddog | Make your sonos bark
How cool is that, your not at home and you don;t own a big German Sheperd. But when people ring the doorbel or when a motion sensor detects motion a big barking dog welcomes them.
How does this work
When your Z-wave controller recieves a signal from the doorbel or motion sensor it will sent our a command to the sonos to play an MP3 file where we have recorded the biggest tarzan dog we could find on the net. You can use any signal Z-wave doorbel.
What have used:
- FIBARO Home Center 2
- Sonos Speaker
- NAS (to store the mp3)
How did we do it:
- Make the .mp3 file available
- Create the according variables
- Import Sonos Virtual Device
- Create Virtual Device button
- Create scene
Make the .mp3 file available
We have placed a MP3 file on a Synology NAS. It's important that the file is accesable for the guest account. This makes it possible to use the file without any username/password. Write down the path of the file
//NAS/music/bestand.mp3. Test the path by entering the link in a browser.
Create the variables
To make the device work properly, we need to variables in the controller. For the HC2. Login, go to panel and click on 'variable panel'.
Create 2 “predefined variables” : SonosLastCmd & SonosTTS
Import the Sonos Virtual Device
Log in to the web interface of the FIBARO. Go to "devices" and then click "Add or remove device". Download and import this file and press add. If it is good, there is created a new device called Sonos Player.
Open this device, and enter the IP address of the Sonos speaker in which you want to play the MP3 on. The default port number is 1400. You can find it by opening the Sonos Desktop Controller on the computer. Then go to "Help" in the menu, then click "About My Sonos System." Here you can find the IP address of each Sonos speaker in your system.
Create a Virtual Device button
Log in the FIBARO web interface. Go to devices and click on “Add or remove device”. Create a new vitual devce. Enter the IP-adres of the sonos player and use 1400 as portnr. Add a button (give it a name) and enter this code
POST /MediaRenderer/AVTransport/Control HTTP/1.1
<s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"><s:Body><u:SetAVTransportURI xmlns:u="urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:AVTransport:1"><InstanceID>0</InstanceID>,<CurrentURI>x-file-cifs: //NAS/music/bestand.mp3 </CurrentURI>,<CurrentURIMetaData></CurrentURIMetaData></u:SetAVTransportURI></s:Body></s:Envelope>0x0D0x0A0x0D0x0A
In the text above 2 things need to be altered. The part after : file-cifs: needs to be replaced by the path we talked about earlier. than copy the text from <s:Envelope until </s:Envelope>.
Select this website: http://string-functions.com/length.aspx. paste the code and press calculate!. The lenght of the tekst is now calculated. You need to be filled in “Content-Length:” (in this example 381).
Save the virtual device. Press the button and check if the file is displayed in the Sonos desktop controller.
Import the waakhond.VFID file.
create a scene
Now we will create a that is activated by a sensor (doorbell). Use the doorbell as trigger. The first action is to push the 'bark' button of the virutal device. The next action is to press play on the virtual sonos device that we have imported.
Guarddog scene: create a trigger and press the bytton on the virtual device.
Video | The SONOS smartdog
- SALEZ-waveRegistered customer recieve benefits!Fibaro's Home Center 2 is the brain of FIBARO's Z-wave smart home system. This gateway has the best specifications and the fastest processor of all Z-wave controllers available. Did you know that you can try this home center 2 before you buy it? Ask us for details and login to our demo Home Center 2. Not sure which Home Center to buy, click here.
Home Center 2 Black FIBARO
- Z-waveRegistered customer recieve benefits!Fibaro's Home Center 2 is the brain of FIBARO's Z-wave smart home system. This gateway has the best specifications and the fastest processor of all Z-wave controllers available. There is also a black version.Did you know that you can try this home center 2 before you buy it? Ask us for details and login to our demo Home Center 2. Not sure which Home Center to buy, click here.
Home Center 2 FIBARO€499.00
- WiFiDe Sonos Play:1 white, Deep, crystal clear sound. Compact and surprisingly powerful. With the open API from SONOS its possible to integrate this music device into your Smarthome system. Also available in black.
Sonos Play:1 White€179.00